The first executive president of Nigeria was Shehu Usman Aliyu Shagari who served in office from g1 October 1979 to 31 December 1983. He was the first democratically elected president of Nigeria.
Although it was ousted in a military coupe on alleged corruption, the shagari led federal government is one of the top administrations to have carried out heavy infrastructural development in the country.
He was considered as one of the most experienced politicians in the country with prior service in seven ministerial positions.
- Federal Minister of Commerce and Industries from 1958 to 1959
- Federal Minister of Economic Development from 1959 to 1960
- Federal Minister of Pensions from 1960 to 1962
- Federal Minister of Internal Affairs from 1962 to 1965
- Federal Minister of Works from 1965 to 1966
- Federal Commissioner for Economic Development, Rehabilitation, and Reconstruction from 1970 to 1971
- The Federal Commissioner for Finance 1971 to 1975
He was also a member representing sokoto west in the federal house of representatives, a position he won in 1954.
Aliyu Shehu Shagari was born on 25 February 1925 in Shagari, Northern Region, British Nigeria in present day Shagari, Sokoto state.He died at the age of 93 on 28 December 2018 in Abuja, Nigeria